Hi there gal pals!
The last day of the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale is only 2 days away! Before sale items shoot back up to regular price, I’m giving you all the deets on my #NSale beauty buys! The good and the bad. You know me, I’m always going to be 100% real with you. So, yes, I did NOT love them all. And that’s why, in addition to reviewing my absolute favorites for ya, I’m giving you a heads up on the disappointing duds you want to avoid! 🙂
Nordy’s beauty department is pure bliss for a makeup junkie like myself. A Shangri-La of sorts for those of us enamored with lippies, lotions & lashes. So naturally, as evidenced by the photo above, I like to stock up when there’s a sale.
I feel comfortable doing this because of Nordstrom’s easy-breezy, no-questions-asked return policy. There’s no pressure.
If that new lip color isn’t working for your skin tone, but you’ve already given it a thorough test drive for a week (or even two…)?
Return it. No harm done.
Is that skin serum you saved up your extra cash to purchase underwhelming? Leaving your skin more sticky than supple?
Return it. No biggie.
Customer service is their specialty.
There’s not even a time limit on returns for Pete’s sake! As long as you have proof of purchase, you’re golden! (Proof of purchase includes a paper or emailed receipt, a Nordstrom sticker on the physical product or a record of your purchase on your Nordstrom card.)
Now let’s get down to the good stuff, shall we? 🙂
What’s the price? Sale Price: $98 // Value: $365 (sale ends 8/6)
Do I recommend? YES
I didn’t save the best for last, I saved the best for first.
You guys, this eye and cheek palette is the DREAMIEST!
I’m not the only one that’s singing its praises! Check out the stellar reviews. I’m shocked that this baby is still in stock!
This palette has all that I need to put on my face in the morning (or before date night) sans mascara and foundation. Whether you like a little bit of definition or a full-blown smoky eye, these shadows have your back. The photo above showcases the left hand side of the palette, the eyeshadows. Take a peek at the 1st photo in this blog post and you will see the gorg blushes and bronzers that are on the right side of the palette. A fabulously large mirror is included as well! It will be a lifesaver if you’re a lady on the go. This Bobbi Brown palette feels high-end and durable, and I love the strong magnetic closure. I can toss it in my purse without worry that it will open in my handbag while I scoot around town.
The shadows included:
- 1 light base shade
- 4 soft matte shades
- 6 shimmery shades
- 1 dark liner shade
Personally, I’m a neutrals kind of gal when it comes to my shadow. So this palette suits me to a “T”. I typically use this Charlotte Tilbury eyeshadow quad in color “The Sophisticate” on the daily.
What I used in the Bobbi Palette?
- Ivory Eyeshadow as a base (applied with this brush)
- Birch Eyeshadow in crease/to define (applied with this brush & blended with this brush)
- Espresso Shadow as liner (applied with this brush)
- French Pink Blush
- Halo Illuminating Bronzing Powder
This one’s a definite keeper, my friends!
Side Note: I’m going to do a video review of this palette on my Instagram Story today. When you see the gorgeousness of this Bobbi palette up close, you’re going to flip! Head on over to @fashionandfrill this afternoon to watch! 🙂
What’s the price? Sale Price: $49 // Value: $94 (sale ends 8/6)
Do I recommend? NO
Well, they can’t all be winners, my peeps.
This one gets a big thumbs down from me in each and every category…
Just fyi, I’m a longtime fan of Smashbox. Their products are typically fantastic. I use their color correcting primer on my face daily. This particular kit; however, didn’t float my boat. AT ALL.
- Eyeshadow Palette: Shimmery and very pretty upon first glance. This was my favorite part of the entire kit. My issue was the immense amount of fallout from the shadow both while picking up the shadow in the palette and upon application. It was all over the place.
- Gel Liner: I must say, I prefer applying powder eyeliner with a brush. I’m not a fan of the harsh line a gel stick imparts. It requires some major smudging to soften up the look on the eye. This particular liner is very dark black. Using this gel stick reminded me of my 8th grade days. (A long, LONG time ago.) Every girl at school (including myself) was going overboard with the black liner that year, and my mom was like “You want to soften that liner up a bit, Christina?” (baha. Thanks mom!) To make matter worse, this makeup kit’s box says that the gel liner stays put for 24 hours, even in water! Mine smeared after about 2.5 hours (no water required) and this never happens to my liner, ever.
- Mascara: Mascara is my thang. I’m reeeaaalllyyy (reeealllyyyy!!) picky. I didn’t like this one, but I think other women might. The reviews are good, but I wouldn’t choose to use it again. It’s glossy and coats the lashes well – almost too well. My lashes were sticking together so it looked like I had about 7 really great super thick lashes, not lots of feathery voluminous lashes like I prefer.
- Liquid Metal Lip: This is no joke. It’s metallic with a capital “M”. The formula itself is very pretty, just not on my particular lips. It didn’t feel classic or natural looking enough to wear on the face. The color, however, would make for one heck of a gorgeous date night top! So, there’s that.
What’s the price? Sale Price: $59 // Value: $110 (sale ends 8/6)
Do I recommend? YES
(Pssst… this has been sold out ALL WEEK. As I write this post, it’s back in stock but it could sell out any second.)
NARS velvet matte lipstick pencils are MY JAM. Highly pigmented color payoff, hours upon hours of wear & a non-drying matte formula – I truly love this lippie. I wear one nearly every day as a standalone allover lip color. When compared to a traditional lipstick, I find it exponentially easier to define my lips. (It’s also extra easy to exaggerate your pout a bit by drawing outside the lines just a smidge. #guilty)
Cruella by Nars (as worn in this selfie) is my ride-or-die red. However, it doesn’t complement absolutely everything. Sometimes you need a red that reads a little more pink or a little more orange or a little more brown. That’s why I was so thrilled to order this set of 4 matte velvet lippies on sale!
Colors included in the set:
- Rouge Palatin
- Rouge Immortel
*My favorite so far is the Rouge Immortel. This red is more of a vibrant coral which I ADORE for summer. It feels young and fresh and absolutely fabulous.
What’s the price? Sale Price: $26.50 // Value: $40 (sale ends 8/6)
Do I recommend? YES (but please read below for clarification)
I saw the words “lip kit” and thought: Kylie Jenner.
And so I bought it…
IN 5 COLORS!!
(I’m just being honest here.)
So let’s chat about THE GOOD first:
- The lipsticks are VERY creamy (2 per kit).
- The glosses aren’t sticky (2 per kit).
- They’re all miniature in size which makes the lipsticks fit the contour of my lip much better.
(Now I’m wishing that MAC made every single lipstick as a mini! They’re the perfect size!)
Anywho, let’s get glossy.
MAC’s glosses have come a long way, baby! MAC gloss was my go-to from about age 12 to 21. My dad would take me to the MAC counter to get, what he liked to call, a “MAC Attack”! (Can you tell that’s he’s hilarious and loads of fun!) 🙂 I would always leave the counter with a bundle of goodies that oftentimes included lots and lots and lots of gloss! This was middle school and high school, people. My prime gloss-wearing years. I recall my MAC glosses being lustrous and beautiful AND very very sticky.
Fast forward to 2017.
I haven’t worn gloss in years (I’m more of a classic matte kind of girl if you didn’t already notice), but this Saint No Angel Look In a Box Lip Kit has opened up my eyes to the glory of glosses, my friends! To create the look, you layer a silky gloss atop a creamy nude lipstick for a stunner of a natural pout. I LOVE IT. (Other ladies love it too! See the reviews for proof.)
I also purchased the pink lipstick/lipgloss “Baby Be Cool” Look in a Box Lip Kit . I like it, but I much prefer the natural lip kit.
And now for the lip kits that were NOT SO GOOD:
What I Didn’t Love: Mac Liquid Look in a Box Lip Kits in the following colors: “Early to Red” , “Call Me Love” & “Nice ‘n Spicy” (I’m on the fence re: “Nice ‘n Spicy”… I liked it a lot initially, but it’s rather drying over time.)
- The liquid lipstick formula is EXTREMELY matte. So much so, that it’s too drying on my poor little parched lips.
- The liquid lipstick formula is touted as a long-wear lip solution, but I found that it faded quickly. The red and the pink liquid lipsticks did not fade gracefully, either. It wasn’t a pretty process, people. It was more like the hot mess express.
On a happy note, I’m thankful to have tried the liquid lipstick kits because it introduced me to MAC’s prep + prime lip primer! OMG, it’s GOOD!! You must give it a try. The buttery formula moisturizes and smooths lips’ fine lines before lipstick application. I’ve been wearing it under both Nars “Cruella” and MAC “Mehr” with much success! I don’t think I’ll ever be without this product from here on out.
What’s the price? Sale Price: $32 // Value: $46 (sale ends 8/6)
Do I recommend? YES
Mario Badescu is wildly popular for a reason. It’s affordable yet effective skincare. In comparison to most every other skincare line offered at Nordstrom, Mario Badescu’s prices are lower. This $32 set comes with a total of 4 products (2 full size and 2 travel size). Both the facial spray and the drying lotion are cult classics. I’ve been using these products for quite some time and I’m officially smitten.
The drying lotion is the ultimate breakout buster. Dab this pink potion on a pimple and it will be gone (or GREATLY reduced) by morning. SO many of my friends swear by this.
As for the facial spray, initially it sounded rather unnecessary. After reading many a fabulous review online, I decided to purchase and to give it a whirl. Now I’ve nearly finished an entire bottle! It’s ridiculously rejuvenating and the anti-inflammatory properties of the rose water calm down facial redness. I much prefer Mario Badescu’s rose water facial spray to the other well-known fave, facial mist by Herbivore Botanicals. Just fyi. 🙂
What’s the price? Sale Price: $118 // Value: $175 (sale ends 8/6)
*Update: Now sold out in the Anniversary Sale size. You can still purchase a 2 oz container at reg price ($85)!
Do I recommend? MAYBE
I’ve only given this highly acclaimed exfoliator 1 chance to “WOW me” since I purchased it on sale. So I’m not yet a fair judge. I liked it VERY much; however, I don’t yet know if the results will warrant the super steep price-tag. Paying $175 for an exfoliating facial scrub seems kind of cray. That’s why I snagged it on sale. But the price is still hefty! (It better be GOOD!) If I’m not head over heels in love after 2 more weeks, it’s going back to Nordy’s.
If I were to make the purchase again, I would choose this $75 Kate Somerville starter kit instead. It includes the ExfoliKate scrub, along with 3 of other bestsellers. It’s the perfect way to give the line a try without shelling out over 100 buckaroos. 🙂
Shop My Beauty Buys:
Thank you so much for chatting beauty with me today, sweet friend!!
Happy shopping. 🙂
Talk again, soon!