I’m so excited to share these sweet photos from Charlie’s first few days! The oh-so-fabulous Madison of Madison Katlin Photography met us at the hospital right before we were discharged and captured these precious photos that we will treasure forever!
(Psst… keep on scrolling past the images to read about my 11 newborn baby must-haves!)
As a first time mom, I had no idea what we would end up using when we brought cute Charlie home from the hospital. It was all new to me! So, for all of you mamas-to-be, here’s a quick rundown of the 11 things Tom and I used the most during Charlie’s first month!
Charlie is now a little over 3 months old so I’ll be sharing another list of our favorite baby items from months 2&3 soon! 🙂
11 Newborn Must-Haves
- Keekaroo Changing Pad: My friend Emily (of Fortuitous Foodies) recommended this changing pad to us when I was pregnant, and it’s a total game-changer! Traditional changing pads = LOTS OF LAUNDRY. This changing pad can be wiped down with a wet wipe and, voila, it’s clean! This changing pad is a must-have, especially if you’re having a baby boy (because, oftentimes during diaper changes, they pee EVERYWHERE!) You can see some images of the Keekaroo in my nursery reveal blog post!
- White Noise Machines: We use both the Hatch Baby Rest & this super affordable white noise machine from Amazon. The Hatch Baby Rest is in Charlie’s nursery. We started trying to nap him in his crib once a day around 2 weeks, and white noise is an absolute essential! The app is what makes the Hatch Baby Rest SO GREAT. It makes using the Hatch super easy. I didn’t have the app downloaded at first, and it’s a bit trickier to use that way. I highly recommend you download the app. As for the affordable white noise machine from Amazon, that’s what we use at night when Charlie is sleeping in his travel crib by our bed. I LOVE sleeping with it on. I’m now officially hooked on white noise for sleep, haha!
- Infant Optics Monitors: I totally have that first time mom anxiety- meaning, I want to constantly see my baby and know that he is okay! So, I purchased 2 Infant Optics baby monitors– one for his nursery and one for his travel crib next to our bed. Before we got a second monitor for our room, I was constantly wanting to check on his breathing in the middle of the night. Silly, I know. Hooking up an additional monitor to Charlie’s travel crib means that I can look at it in the middle of the night and see that he is A-okay without getting up (and potentially waking him up!) by placing my hand on his chest to check on him. I attach the monitor to Charlie’s travel crib with this monitor mount. And this is the monitor mount that we use in his nursery.
- Doona Infant Car Seat & Stroller: It’s a car seat & a stroller, all in one! This made our first trips to the pediatrician SO MUCH EASIER. It was highly recommended to me by multiple moms, and it has lived up to the hype! It will be fabulous for travel!
- My Brest Friend Nursing Pillow: If you plan to breastfeed, I recommend the My Brest Friend Nursing Pillow. I tried 3 different nursing pillows, and this is the only one I have loved! It’s by far my favorite! I chose the one with a waterproof slipcover as it makes the pillow super easy to clean! (Because spit-up gets EVERYWHERE.)
- Fisher Price Rock N Play & Fisher Price Cradle N Swing: These 2 Fisher Price contraptions were SO HELPFUL for daytime naps in the first month! Charlie adored the Rock N Play right away, and he will nap in it for 2 hours straight during the day. (We have not used it for nighttime sleep, only naps.) He also loves the Cradle N Swing! I would swaddle him in this footed swaddle and put him in the swing when I do a quick at-home workout, and he’s happy as can be!
- DockATot: The DockATot is the perfect “docking” station for baby! We don’t use it for nighttime sleep as we are not co-sleeping, but we do use it often during the day! It’s the perfect spot to put Charlie while I’m working on my laptop/doing laundry/showering. You can take it with you throughout the house as it’s the perfect little portable pod to hold baby safely in place.
- Halo Swaddles: We were given a Halo swaddle at the hospital and fell in love with its ease of use! So we stocked up on more when we got home! It makes swaddling super simple. As Charlie has gotten older, he’s starting to wiggle his little arms out of it- bummer! So, I’m liking the Swaddle Me swaddles more these days. It seems to keep his strong arms more secure since he’s no longer an itty-bitty newborn. But, the Halo Swaddle was all that we used the first 2 months.
- Kimono Style Bodysuits: Yes, I did a total first time mom thing and ordered a bunch of personalized/monogrammed outfits, and THEY. ARE. ADORABLE. But… during the first month Charlie was wearing one of these kimono style bodysuits 90% of the time! They are so easy because they don’t go over baby’s head. We bought them in white, baby blue & navy blue! He wore them during the day with these pants and at night underneath the Halo swaddles I mentioned above. He still wears them for sleep, and I put socks on him to keep his toes warm. Oh, and they’re organic!
- Tubby Todd Ointment: Charlie had a little baby acne appear at around 3-4 weeks. We tried coconut oil, and I was surprised that it didn’t clear it up. Then I read online reviews about the Tubby Todd Natural All Over Ointment and decided to give it a try. It cleared it up in 2 days, and it was 100% gone within a week! It’s quite the miracle product, and it’s all natural. We still use it often on Charlie when his skin feels dry.
- Motherlove Diaper Balm: This all natural salve for diaper rash has been great! It’s made with 96% organic ingredients, and it heals Charlie’s diaper rash quickly. We use the ever so popular Boudreaux’s Butt Paste as well. They both work like a charm, but I like that the Motherlove Diaper Balm isn’t a thick white paste. It’s not nearly as messy.
And that’s a wrap!
I hope this was helpful! xo
hugs to you,